Settled in 1655, separated from Salisbury in 1666, incorporated as a town in 1668.
Bartlett Museum, 270 Main Street. Artifacts and local history museum.
Golgotha Memorial, Route 110 Macy Street. A plaque listing the first settlers of Amesbury in 1654, including Susannah (North) Martin’s husband George (1618-1686), is located at the site of the first burying ground. The gravestones no longer exist, so it’s unknown who was buried here. Maintained by Amesbury Improvement Association.
Macy-Colby House, 257 Main Street. The wooden cradle used by Susannah (North) Martin’s children is displayed in the Communion room. Anthony Colby (1605-1661) and his descendants owned the house for 245 years. His son, Samuel Colby (c. 1639-1716), signed the Mary Bradbury petition. Maintained by Bartlett Cemetery Association.
Susannah (North) Martin house site, end of Martin Street. Plaque.
Amesbury Treasures: partnership of 17 historic sites.
Online Books & Records
Burials in some cemeteries in the towns of Salisbury, Amesbury, and Merrimac, in Essex county, Massachusetts by Chester and Julia True (2007)