Settled in 1629, incorporated as Saugus in 1631, the town’s name changed to Lynn in 1637. From the original settlement were formed Reading (1644), Lynnfield (1782), Saugus (1815), Swampscott (1852), and Nahant (1853).
Saugus Iron Works National Historic Site, 244 Central Street, Saugus. Controversies over the failed iron works, known as Hammersmith, are suggested in 1692. Restored 1680s home, 17th century garden, re-created millworks, and archaeological finds in museum.
Online Books & Records
Centennial memorial of Lynn, Essex County, Massachusetts by James R. Newhall (1876)
Century of Puritanism, and a century of its opposites by Parsons Cooke (1855)
History of Lynn, Essex county, Massachusetts: including Lynnfield, Saugus, Swampscott, and Nahant by Alonzo Lewis and James R. Newhall (1865)
Inscriptions from the Old Burying Ground, Lynn, Mass. by John T. Moulton (1886)