Established in 1640 as Pentucket, Haverhill was incorporated as a city in 1870. In 1897, the town of Bradford—originally part of Rowley and known as Merrimack Lands or Rowley Village by Merrimack—was annexed to Haverhill.
Creative Haverhill. Calendar, travel information, parks.
Buttonwoods Museum, 240 Water Street. Visitor center and home of Haverhill Historical Society. The John Ward house (1710) portrays early American life history and the Luce Archaeology Collection displays Native American artifacts from the Lower Merrimack Valley, including stone tools, bone implements, baskets, and pottery.
Old Bradford Burial Ground (est. 1665), 326 Salem Street. Burials include Rev. Zechariah Symmes (d. 1707), first minister of Bradford.
Pentucket Cemetery/Old Burying Ground, 200 Water Street. Burial place of former Judge Nathaniel Saltonstall (c. 1639-1707), who quit the Court of Oyer & Terminer in early June 1692.
Online Books & Records
History of Haverhill, Massachusetts, from its first settlement, in 1640, to the year 1860 by George Wingate Chase (1861)